Metal and Glass for Architecture and Objects
Contemporary calligraphy has a grand future OFF paper. My career has been full of fascinating commissions in metal and glass for architecture and other applications. You will learn to design for laser-cutting, including some basic plotting techniques to prepare your files for the laser. (Simple options for those without digital skills will be discussed!) You will learn to make a mock-up for large-scale architectural works and to develop the content (theme, meaning) for a specific project. The course will also look at applications on glass, both architectural and small scale. At the end of the course, you will have a sandblasted glass object and, budget permitting, a laser-cut metal object for all to admire.
This online course will consist of six Zoom sessions:
* Sessions will be recorded and made available to students for a period of 4 months.
- Drawing paper and/or calligraphy paper
- Calligraphy pens and brushes
- Dremel tool (optional)
- A glass vessel or sheet of glass for sandblasting.
- You will need to scan your work to create files for laser cutting and sandblasting. We will discuss how to find a company to carry out your laser cutting and sandblasting.
* HANDOUTS with more specific information on materials will be sent three weeks before the series begins.
Dates & time
* Sessions last approximately 2 hours